Personal Representatives and Required Retrofitting for House Sales
Personal Representatives need to be aware the City of Los Angeles and all other cities in L.A. County require certain retro-fits to be completed before one’s single family house (and housing of 1-4 units ) can be sold.
Escrow will not complete your sale –
• Until the required retro-fits are accomplished.
• Inspections performed
• Compulsory fees paid to the cities.
Below is a partial list of required retro-fits.
• Various cities including Los Angeles have many more additional requirements.
• Retro-fits are paid for by the seller, which are significant costs.
Other expenses paid by sellers:
• Termite inspection/repair of termite damage (required by buyer’s lender).
• Buyers home warranty.
• Contributions to buyer’s costs.
Selling to Probate Solutions LA:
• You will not incur these required expenses nor the time and effort needed to complete these required retro-fits.
• We will purchase the house “As-Is” and complete the obligatory improvements at our expense.
PROBATE SOLUTIONS LA ADVANTAGES:
• PRs save valuable time, effort and money.
• Avoid legal entanglements.
• No negotiating with 3rd parties for improvements
• Peace of mind knowing the sale is handled correctly.
Required Retro-fits to sell a single-family house in Los Angeles*
✓ Water Heaters
► Double strapped with bracing and anchoring.
✓ High Efficiency Toilets
► 1.28 GPF or less.
► Pre-existing 1.6 GPF toilets are considered to be in compliance at time of sale.
✓ Low-Flow Shower Heads
► 2.5 GPM.
✓ Gas Shut-off Valve (SGSOV)
► Seismic earthquake shut-off valves required on natural gas lines.
► Requires permit from City of Los Angeles Dept. of Building and Safety,
✓ Smoke Detectors
► Electric or battery operated (single-family house only).
► Located in all bedrooms, hallways and at least one on each floor level.
✓ CO Detectors
► CO-Carbon Monoxide
► Must be installed outside each separate sleeping area and on each level of a home,
✓ DWP Certificate of Compliance
✓ Impact Hazard Safety Glazing
► External sliding doors must be tempered glass or “impact hazard glass” with a safety film that is approved by the City of Los Angeles.
► Sliding part of door only.
► Only for sliders that are not tempered glass.
*these requirements are not necessary when selling to Probate Solutions LA. We remove the burden of completing them, so you don’t have to.